Export Market Development Grants
The Export Market Development Grant (EMDG) scheme offers reimbursements of up to 50 percent of eligible export promotion expenses above $5000, including trade shows, digital advertising, marketing consultant fees, and visa fees, with a total of $150,000 on offer each year.
The scheme will be split into three tiers:
Tier 1: Ready to export
- first time exporters
- 2 years and maximum of $40,000 per financial year.
Tier 2: Expanding
- expanding export promotional activities
- 3 years and maximum of $80,000 per financial year.
Tier 3: Expanding and strategic shift
- expanding export promotional activities and making a strategic shift, for example targeting a new market or a new type of customer
- 3 years and maximum of $150,000 per financial year.
The EMDG grant is provided for expenses in one or more of the following categories, as detailed in the EMDG Guidelines
- maintaining a representative in a foreign country
- short trips to a foreign country
- engaging a consultant to undertake research or promotional activities
- short trips within Australia
- foreign buyer visits
- soliciting for business in a foreign country
- providing free samples
- producing and providing promotional and advertising material
- intellectual property rights
- if you are a Tier 1 applicant, obtaining export readiness training.
A maximum of $770,000 is available per applicant over 8 years. The 8 years do not need to be consecutive. Grant funding must be matched on a 1:1 basis.
For the 2021/22 year onwards, the Export Market Development Grants (EMDG) scheme will be reoriented from a reimbursement program claimed in the year after the eligible expenditure has been incurred, to a pre-approved grant agreement based on your export market plan.
This will give eligible exporters funding certainty before they embark on their marketing and promotion activities.
Eligible SMEs will be able to apply and get approval up front, giving certainty of funding and confidence to commit to marketing activities.
Importantly this is for planned expenditure AFTER 1 July 2021.
Claims for the current 20/21 are still done under the existing EMDG rules as reimbursement and must be lodged by the end of November 21 unless using a registered EMDG consultant who has a Feb 22 lodgment deadline
If you have expenses to claim for the current 20/21year then you should still apply under the existing EMDG rules.
If you are a first-year claimant under the old program you can claim your 19/20 and 20/21 expenses.
If you would like to discuss your EMDG eligibility, please do not hesitate to give us a call at TCF Services